Throughout my life when I push myself I almost always get sick right after (doesn’t bode well if I ever have a honeymoon! 🙂 ). Even when I was in high school after a swim meet or play I would get sick the next week. These are not imagined illnesses but real legitimate sicknesses. It is then no surprise after my 5k that yesterday I felt unwell all day. I tried to fight it through lunch with an old friend but when I got home it was official. I was sick. I wish I could stop this from happening but it seems no matter how hard I try with the positive self-talk my body can only take so much and it becomes vulnerable.
Anyway, today I was sick and despite a few emails (it is impossible for me to not work a little in a day!) I had the whole day to hang around. What do you do when you aren’t feeling well and need to get in some healing time? Watch some movies of course!
Everyone knows I have a large DVD collection and I have no problem watching a movie again and again. There are movies I have that I could watch back to back repeatedly. I have whole scenes memorized.
So what movies do I reach for when I’m sick?
1. Guys and Dolls- The song Adelaide’s Lament is probably the best song ever written about being sick.
2. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off- What we all wish we could do on our day off instead of being sick.
3.Disney Nostalgia movies like Parent Trap, Old Yeller, Mary Poppins, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson. Something about the nostalgic movies are comforting, like a hug from your mother. I love these types of movies. I wish that quality family films were more frequently made today.
4. BBC Miniseries- When you are sick you have lots of time in bed so what better than to watch a 7 hour movie from the BBC like good old Downton Abbey, North and South or Pride and Prejudice. I can’t think of a much better way to spend a day even if you are sick!
5. TV on DVD. I love to get out my series and watch a bunch of Simpsons, Cosby Show, Reba or The Golden Girls. You can fall asleep for hours and just start a new episode.
6. Dorris Day romantic movies such as Pillow Talk or Calamity Jane. Also Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday and Talk of the Town are favorite comedies that I could watch a million times. Let’s be honest we are all a little depressed when we are sick and good laugh never hurt anyone.
What are some of your favorites?
Also- after a day of rest I’m thankfully feeling much better!
4 thoughts on “Best Sick Day Movies”
Good choices. Truthfully, I’m always watching new stuff (even if I’m sick) because there’s so much I want to see. If I were to revisit old favorites, these would be high on my list…
The Shawshank Redemption
Your list is great, by the way!
That’s a good list. Thanks! Sunset seems a little melancholy for a sick day but it’s a great film. Casablanca and Star Wars would be on my short list for sure.
I am unlike you in finding lots of new movies that I enjoy. Occasionally there is the Where the Wild Things Are or Inception that excite me and feel new and exciting. Pixar had a pretty great stretch there for a while. Usually there will be two or three movies each year that I really love. Maybe that’s all I should expect? After all, with the classics we have the luxury of time filtering out all the duds. 🙂
I’m just so tired of sequels and comic book movies and remakes of old TV shows. (and can we say no more movies based on board games or amusement park rides!). How about an original idea!
Reblogged this on Smilingldsgirl's Weblog and commented:
I thought since I’m sick I would go ahead and repost this. Love sick day movies. Yesterday it was Jane Eyre 2011
Glad to hear you’re feeling better. When I feel sick or need to rest up (I have ME so that’s fairly often) I take my mind off it by tweeting and going on Facebook. But a feel good movie for me is anything from the Narnia series.