Today I have a lot on my mind, so I’m afraid this will be another one of my random, all-over-the-place posts.
1. I just watched Say Yes to the Dress and it has me all fired up. There is a girl who is a 20 (which is still a touch smaller than me). She can’t fit into any of the sample plus size dresses (this is the Atlanta show which doesn’t seem to have the plus size selection of Kleinfelds). Anyway, as she fails in trying on the bridal dresses the upset woman says “Its not that bad. I’m not that big. I’m not this horrible person”. What is wrong with our culture that big girls feel their size is not just a health concern but a sin, an evil- that it makes you a horrible person. It is a classic example of the prevalence of fat stigma in our culture. It makes me crazy!
2. So the former political science grad in me has been eating up this recent debt ceiling debate. I find it fascinating to watch the back and forth and try to guess what is going to happen (not only now but in 2012 as well). It is a source of pride for me that the principles I helped fight for in the tea party rallies are being instituted by both parties. Of course, I am the biggest fan of the cut, cap and balance bill but I think any spending cuts are a step in the right direction.
I’ve also given it a lot of thought and I don’t know what I would do if I was in Congress. I respect the representatives that are sticky to pure principles but I also understand those that are accepting a practical compromise. I will be very curious to see how everything plays out. What would you’all do and why?
3. Today I made delicious whole wheat banana bread. It is really good and actually good for you. Here is the recipe:
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1/2 cup clear agave
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (2 large bananas, 4 small bananas)
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large bowl, beat oil and agave together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Blend in chopped nuts. Spread batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing
4. Relationships are so confusing. Its like the great mystery of life. How does anybody get together in the end? It happens every day so we just accept it but it seems impossible sometimes. We hear a million talks in the church about how great marriage is and how we should all get married- if someone would please tell me how to do that I will be glad to oblige? Anyway, finding love is hard and that’s all I have to say on the topic.
5. I am in need of good book suggestions. I just finished reading the July-September book club picks (Life as We Knew It, All Creatures Great and Small, Anne of Green Gables- 2 out of 3 were terrific). I figure I can’t read the October book so quickly (I’ve read it before, the Book Theif, but I want it to be fresh for book club). Anyway, I am looking for engaging, creative, whimsical books. They can be sad or even tragic but it just has to be something with likable, interesting characters. I like historical fiction, classics, high-quality chick literature, poetry, and even some fantasy. Please send me your recommendations. Even if you think it is not my cup of tea please let me know what you have enjoyed and I will give it a shot.
6. My quest for the open water swim is going well. As I mentioned in a previous post I had a great effort last week. It was exhausting but thrilling. I did 5 tough work outs in one week. However, this week was not quite as successful because of some stomach upset. I have stepped up my dosage of victoza and once again my body did not like it. I was doing so well for weeks that I thought I could up the dosage but not so much. Anyway, we will see. Including tomorrow I will get 4 workouts this week which is pretty good considering I had 2 sick days. I just want to be ready for the swim. Next Thursday I will do a practice swim so that will be a good test to see if I am prepared. If not, I can wait for the October swim but I hope I can participate. Wish me luck!
7. Today is the end of week 1 for the cpap machine. It has been a hard adjustment but I’m improving each day. Its difficult to get used to sleeping with a mask and it is hard to keep it from leaking. I also miss being able to read before going to sleep. Thank goodness for ipods. (Also, thankfully I am not in a couple because the mask is not a romantic look!).
So that’s my random thoughts. Love you guys!