I have been reading Swim: Why We Love the Water by Lynn Sherr and thoroughly enjoying it. It is exactly the kind of non-fiction that I love. It explores an aspect of my life in an entertaining way. Sherr shares her stories of open water swims including journeys in waters from all over the world.
Anyway, I will do a full review once I am finished but in one of the asides she lists You Know You’re a Swimmer If… and I thought some of them were quite funny and true:
You Know You’re a Swimmer If…
1. You’re crossing a bridge and think, “I could swim across this…”
2. People ask you to do a triathlon, and you say you would if it weren’t for the run and bike parts.
3. You put off the decision to color your hair until after the summer swimming season.
4. You have more swimsuits hanging in your closets than dresses
5. You have an emergency swim bag in your car just in case…
6. You can’t remember the last time you took a shower at home (totally true with me in the winter bc I always shower at the gym!)
7. Bugs die of chlorine poisoning when they land on your skin
8. You say to your dog, ‘wanna go for a swim?’ and she gets more excited than offering a walk
9. You find yourself counting strokes instead of sheep to fall asleep at night. Then, just when you’re about to fall asleep, instead of leg twitching a little bit, it does a full whip kick and you ride the glide to slumberland.
10. You get in the water and feel like an eagle in the sky (so true!)
11. You’re first thought when trying on bathing suits is ‘how will this help me with my stroke’ not ‘Will this make my legs look big?’
12. Men in speedos is routine…
13. You get physically excited when someone says ‘oh I love to swim too…’. It’s a match!
(Those last 3 I made up)
Got any to add my friends?
There actually is a whole blog just on this topic http://youknowyoureaswimmer.tumblr.com/